I saw a great quote on Facebook earlier today. It was from the inspirational but sadly departed Dr. Wayne Dyer and it read, “It’s never too late to change the direction that your life is going in.”
I completely agree with this. In fact, right now, I am in the process of changing the direction of my life. I’m well past the halfway mark of my three score years and ten but I’m certainly not going to let that stop me.
Just over a year ago I decided to take a one year sabbatical from teaching music. The idea was that I would spend the year trying to decide just exactly what it is I want to do when I grow up. My final decision was to be based on how much I missed teaching within the year and whether or not there was anything I wanted to do more than teaching. And …guess what? I didn’t miss teaching one little bit. Don’t get me wrong, I missed the students and the interaction with the parents and so on but I didn’t miss the act of teaching at all despite having taught for over 20 years. In that year, I discovered that what I really wanted to do was concentrate on writing and blogging and that’s exactly what I’m doing and loving every minute of it. I’ll never give up music altogether of course – it’s in my blood – and so I will continue with my playing (classical pianist) and singing (mezzo soprano) and I can always go back to teaching in the future but, right now, teaching is not what I want to do with my life and life is just too short to be doing things you don’t want to do.
And so here, in no particular order, are my top 10 reasons as to…
Why It’s Never Too Late to Change the Direction of Your Life
- Regardless of what age you are, you deserve to be happy. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a huge part of your life that’s making you unhappy or whether it’s only a tiny part. If it’s not doing it for you, it’s time to do something different.
- Long gone are the days when you had no choice but to simply settle for what you were given. You don’t have to settle any more. If you aren’t inspired by the things you do in life – find the things that do inspire you and go out and do them!
- As science and medicine progress, people are inevitably living longer; 40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40 and so on. You will probably live longer than any of your ancestors and, if that is the case, you may as well be doing something you love for all those extra years.
- You have all this amazing life experience. Put it to good use and let other people benefit from it.
- Depending on the current direction of your life you may feel that you’ve invested too much time, energy and/or money to give up what you’ve achieved but, and I speak from experience, your happiness and quality of life are far more important than any of those things.
- Regardless of what stage you’re at in life, you need room to flourish and grow otherwise your life will become stagnant and devoid of meaning and so, if something is holding you back and stopping you from blossoming, it’s time to let it go.
- You don’t want to spend your days thinking about the ‘what ifs’ and ‘if onlys’. If you’ve always wanted to do something differently in your life, get out there and do it!
- You were put on this Earth for a reason. You need to find your life purpose and pursue it. Don’t let it go to waste.
- No-one has ever lain on their death bed wishing they had done more of the things that bored them rigid.
- You only get one shot at life – make it a good one.